Skill Development Training
Youth Skill Training:
The great industrial boom in the recent years has created a heavy demand for skilled manpower in the industrial sector particularly in manufacturing and service sectors offering vast employment opportunities. Skill training is a pre-requisite for exploiting the opportunities offered by the growing economy and to make the unskilled and semi skilled youth employable. In order to equip the rural youth with adequate capacity to compete in the job market and acquire gainful employment, the Government of Tamil Nadu introduced Youth Skill Training in the year 2006-07. This programme has been successfully implemented during the last three years in our District.
During the last three years 1,250 youth have undergone skill training in the following trades:
- Computer hardware, software and IT enabled services.
- Construction Equipments
- Driving and automobile mechanism
- Textile Design
- Catering and House Keeping
- Nursing and Hospital management
- Electrical equipments
- Industrial trades
- Office Management
- Fire and safety Management
Major Institutions imparting Youth Skill Training are:
- Pandian Driving School, Kovilpatti
- PSTS Industrial Training Centre, Thoothukudi
- APTECH Computer Centre, Thoothukudi,
- Indian Institute of Paramedical Science, Thoothukudi
- CMTES Computer Centre, Thoothukudi
- Holycross Home Science College, Thoothukudi
- OSCAR Catering School, Kovilpatti
- Chandy Industrial Training Centre, Thoothukudi
- VES Computer Centre, Thoothukudi
- Micropoint Industrial Schoole, Kovilpatti
- Institute of Fire & Safety Management, Thoothukudi.
- IFRD, Madurai
- St. Anna’s Nursing School
Youth Skill Training:
Financial Allocation (Rs. in lakhs)
(Rs. in lakhs)
Entrepreneur Development Training (EDT):
The women in the Self Help Groups who are interested in taking up economic activities are trained in various trades through reputed and recognized institutions under the Enterprise Development Training. Preferably the institution should be within the district and the duration of the training shall be of minimum one month.
The SHG women shall be in the age group of 35 to 60 years preferably from urban areas. Selected women SHG members shall belong to BPL families. Under Enterprise Development Training programme, SHG members who are interested in taking up economic activities particularly in urban areas are trained through reputed institutions.
In our District, the trades trained largely during last three years are Embroidering, soft toys making, Creative painting, Beautician course, Fish value added products, Masala powder making, Tailoring and Readymade, Leather hand bag making during the last three year 477 women were trained at a total cost of Rs. 17.01 Lakhs. In our District EDT for the year 2011-12 has been fixed 150 women.